Ryan: So Drew and I had discussed to do out next d20 list on scary games. It seemed like a great idea, it’s Halloween after all. So of course I roll an extremely high number, making this a much bigger chore. So here are my top 17 Scary Games in no particular order.
- Eldritch Horror- Ok, so it’s not exactly a scary game to play per se, but the Cthulhu Mythos theme is creepy and fun.
- Pandemic- This game may not seem like much, but if you really just sit there and think about how plausible the scenario is. Maybe not 4 super bugs at once, but one can spread quickly and get out of control in a hurry.
- Arkham Horror: The Card Game- Like EH, not exactly a jump scare type game, but the theme and scenarios make this pretty spooky.
- Ghost Fightin’ Treasure Hunters- Children trying to collect treasure and fight ghosts. This seems like a pretty irresponsible thing to be doing. Terrifying for a parent.
- Go Away Monster!- I mean, it’s right there in the title. The whole idea is you’re so terrified you need to yell at and throw the Monsters out.
- Rhino Hero- A flying Rhino? And some pretty questionable structural engineering going on here too.
- Munchkin Clowns- Go ahead, click through and see this nightmare. I mean, Munchkin is scary enough on it’s own and you add scary clowns?
- Galaxy Trucker- You want to see why space travel is a terrible idea, go play this game. Your ship gets decimated every round by all kinds of unavoidable hazards.
- Red November- Let’s put drunken gnomes on a submarine and see what happens! This game is just your worst nightmares about what can happen on a sub.
- The Mind- You are basically trying to create a psychic link with your friends, or even worse, complete strangers! Who knows what kind of stuff you might unwittingly access in their heads.
- Nyctophobia- I haven’t played this yet, but playing a game where you need to escape from a killer while not being able to see the board sounds like an interesting gimmick.
- Divided Republic- We played this once, and somehow caused 2 states to become slave states that weren’t supposed to be and broke the Union. I am terrified that the US was so fragile that we were able to break it accidentally. How close are we to something like that today?
- Cards Against Humanity- I don’t hate this game, but would be scared that playing it once turns into an all night CAH session.
- Agricola- This farming game scares me as showing how easy it is to not have enough food and how easy it is to end up with a cow living in your house.
- Hare & Tortoise- It’s frightening how much math is involved here.
- Flash Point: Fire Rescue- Mimics extremely well how quickly a fire can get out of control in a building, and how difficult it can be for rescuers to get in and help.
- BANG!- This shows how quickly we’ll turn and shoot each other blindly if we have guns and no consequences.
That’s it. My completely 100% super serious list of scary games. I hope you enjoy it, I had fun writing it.
Drew: Here are my top 17 ‘scary’ games.
- Richard Scarry’s Busytown: Eye found it! Game: This one has Scar(r)y right in the name! (and yes, it’s gonna be that type of list).
- Food Chain Magnate: I can’t think of anything scarier than being hungry for the exact same type of food for eternity.
- Monza: The only thing scary about this game is that I can’t beat my 2.5 year old at it…
- Disney Villainous: Some Disney Villains are down right scary…I was terrified of Beast when I was younger…
- Arkham Horror (2e and 3e): A more serious entry for this list, being delayed in Cthulhu’s home is terrifying, as is being cursed for the third time in one game (which happened to me recently).
- B-17: Queen of the Skies: There is nothing scarier in this game than having to make an entire trip back to base, while on 2 engines and half a wing…
- Pandemic: Iberia: Thinking about all the diseases you can contract without proper water treatment! Pandemic: Iberia lets you do just that!
- Zpocalypse: Another ACTUAL game for this list (but one I haven’t played), zombie games are always scary…BRAIIIIIIINS.
- Dice Hospital: Another real scary thing to think about, I don’t want to be treated by the whims of dice and advance planning.
- Boggle: Again, the only scary thing about this one is how often I lose at it. I scream anytime it gets pulled off the shelf.
- Space Hulk: Death Angel: Being stalked by Genestealers in air vents is always fun. Another game where I have a consistent losing record.
- Fortress America: America being invaded by Communists!!! I can’t think of anything scarier!
- Pay Day: What’s scarier than playing a game based upon your day to day life? Taxes and Bills! EEEEEEEEK!
- Silent Victory: Much like B-17 mentioned earlier in the list, trying to find out out if your submarine made it back to port after stalking Japanese shipping ships.
- Hornet Leader: Cthulhu Conflict: A good one to end the list one. Again, I haven’t fully played this one, but I know you can nuke Lovecraftian horrors. Nuclear War in Ril’yeh? Awesome.
So there it is! Ryan and I’s top 17 SpOoOoOoOoOoOoky games? Did we miss any? What are your favorite spooky games. Let us know in the comments below!!